Monday 20 February 2012

Ricotta stuffed mushrooms, sweet peppers and roast chicken

I had some ricotta in the fridge that I needed to use up. Hence on my trip to Tesco, I purchased some large flat mushrooms and some sweet pointed red peppers. I've never cooked stuffed mushrooms before or even had the dish! It was a success! I should have tried this way earlier, I have definitely missed out.


Ricotta Stuffed Mushrooms
(Serves 2 as a side dish, or 1 as a main meal)


150g of ricotta
1 green chilli (Adjust according to how spicy you would like it to be)
Some grated cheddar
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
Juice of half a lemon
1 teaspoon of dried sage
Salt and pepper to season

  • Clean the mushrooms; I rinsed mine lightly, and wiped them dry.
  • Mix the ricotta and the rest of the ingredients (except cheddar) until well combined. Season well, as ricotta can be quite bland.
  • Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture, and add some grated cheddar at the top.
  • Cook in a fan assisted oven ( 180 degrees) for about 10-15 minutes. Then put them under the grill until they're crispy and golden brown.
I also stuffed a sweet pointed pepper with the mixture. In this case, I added some spinach as well (just some frozen spinach, defrosted using a microwave oven). The pepper needed a bit longer to cook. The sweetness of the roasted pepper complemented the ricotta very well.

Checking out the insides of the stuffed mushroom


I reckon, adding some roasted garlic, or sauteed red onion to the dish will add even more flavour. There are so many ways to jazz up this dish, the options are endless! 

I has the mushroom with some roasted chicken, marinated in jerk sauce. I added some red onions at the bottom of the roasting pan, and squeezed some lemon juice. Yums! If you have the chance to marinate it overnight, the flavours will be more intense; absolutely yummy :) 

Glistening! I couldn't wait to tuck in when I was taking this photograph!


2 comments:

  1. I love mushrooms and this recipe looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eftychia! :) I can't believe I've never had stuffed mushrooms before, definitely missed out!

    ReplyDelete