Thursday 2 February 2012

Caramelised red onion, spinach and goat's cheese tart

I love pastry. Especially puff pastry.I absolutely adore the layers of crispy goodness, even though it sometimes is quite hard to eat, because of the crumbs going everywhere! But it is well worth the trouble ;p I got the idea of combining red onion and goat's cheese from watching Come Dine with Me. I've seen so many episodes where guests would serve a red onion and goat's cheese tart for starters. In this case, I added some spinach as well.



I am unfortunately not very good at measurements, it really depends on taste! Here for the filling, I've used about 2 medium sized red onion fried till soft on medium heat. I added one clove of garlic and fried a bit more. Then I added about two cap-fuls of red wine vinegar, and about 1 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Add the spinach, season with salt, and voila, job done! I did add a bit of nutmeg, but I found the taste a bit too overpowering.  Put the cooked onion+spinach on the half cooked pastry (that was in the over for about 15 minutes, at 180 degrees), top with some goat's cheese, and cook for another 10 minutes until golden brown.


I reckon this will be good for a lunch box, or a light supper! I have leftovers, so will see how it tastes like served cold :)

No comments:

Post a Comment