Sunday 4 March 2012

Chicken enchiladas

On my shopping trip to Tesco last weekend, I purchased a packet of tortillas. I was thinking of bringing some wraps to work for lunch, I haven't done that for a while, and am getting a bit bored with the lacklustre choices at the workplace canteen. 

Baked enchiladas! I made 3 as as to have leftovers :)

Colourful!

I wanted a relatively quick and easy lunch during the weekend, to use up the tortillas. I usually don't manage to finish the whole packet, so I thought might as well use some during the weekend. Fajitas came to my mind, but I didn't have avocado to make guacamole with, or sour cream for that yummylicious zing. So instead, I make this version of chicken enchiladas instead.

The enchiladas before going into the oven
I'm not very well-versed with Mexican food. I can only think of fajitas, enchiladas, burritos and quesidillas. But based on what I have tried so far, Mexican food is full of flavours, with lots of spice and heat. I have fallen in love with Mexican food, and I think I should really try to cook them more often! It's so easy to make, and often packs a punch with every mouthful. What's your favourite Mexican food? 

Chicken Enchiladas.

Ingredients
(Serves 1-2)

2 tortillas (I used Mission Deli's Mediterranean tortillas)
300gs of chicken breast, sliced in relatively large strips
2 bell peppers, cut into strips
1 red onion, roughly sliced
2 tins of plum tomatoes (I used whole plum tomatoes, rather than chopped ones)
1-2 teaspoons of sage
1-2 teaspoons of sugar
1 red chilli, roughly chopped. I kept the seeds in as I wanted the heat.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Grated cheddar
salt and peppers to taste

Method
  • Heat the oil in a deep saucepan/pot and add the red onion and bell pepper strips. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the chicken strips, and fry them until they are cooked and have a slight golden tinge at the edges.
  • Drain the tomatoes, and reserve the liquid. Roughly chop the tomatoes (I used kitchen scissors) and pour them into the pot.
  • Fry for another 2-3 minutes until well combined. Add the salt, sugar and pepper to taste. Sugar cuts through the acidity that tinned tomatoes sometimes have.
  • Add the reserved liquid from the tomatoes, and add the sage. Taste as you go along.
  • Add the chilli and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling
  • Now, to assemble the enchiladas: Using a slotted spoon, spoon the chicken and the peppers onto the middle of a tortilla. Fold the left and right sides to the middle, then fold the bottom side to the top, to get a pocket. Carefully fold the top end to the bottom, to get a parcel. 
  • Note: It is important not to overfill the tortilla. I'm always for 'more is better', but not this time I'm afraid!
  • Next continue with the remaining tortilla.
  • Lay the tortilla parcels on a shallow baking tray line with foiled or baking paper. Ladle some sauce on top of the parcels, and sprinkle generously with the grated cheddar. (and I do mean generous! You want that salty gooey stuff! :D )
  • I used a trick I saw on Food Network: I froze the cheese for a couple of hours, before grating. It really was easier to grate, and the cheese did not clump together.
  • Put in a hot oven at 180 degrees celcius for about 10 minutes, or about 4-5 minutes under a hot grill until the cheese bubbles and the parcels turn a lovely golden brown.
  • Garnish with some sprigs of coriander(also known as cilantro). I served mine with some sliced iceberg lettuce.
  • Enjoy!
Garnished enchiladas; the coriander goes so well with the tomato-ey and cheesy sauce!.

No comments:

Post a Comment