Wednesday 21 March 2012

Asian style steamed cod

I had this for dinner a couple of weeks ago. I don't often have cod, and if I do, it's usually battered and served with chips. I've been telling myself to eat more fish, but because cod tends to be a bit tasteless on its own, I'd go for salmon instead.

Steaming dishes are a healthy way to cook, and it's also pretty convenient, as the steamer does all the job for you! I bought a steamer a few months ago, as I suddenly got into the healthy eating mode. Unfortunately, I didn't use it as often as I like since then, as fried food often appeals to me! (Tempura anyone?)

This was a quick dish to make; it didn't take more than 20 minutes, and most of the time was used to steam the fish, during which you don't really have to do much anyway!


Asian style steamed cod
(Serves 2 as a main)

Ingredients

280-300 grammes of fresh boneless cod fillets, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
1 inch of fresh ginger, half sliced into matchsticks, and half sliced at an angle, thinly
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 stalks of spring onion, finely sliced lengthwise
2 tablespoons of light soya sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
Handful of coriander, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon of sugar

Method

  • Rinse the fillets and pat them dry. Place them on a heat resistant plate, and place the ginger slices (sliced at an angle) on top of the fish and a small handful of the spring onion.
  • Steam on high heat for about 15 minutes. If your fillets are thick, it may take another 2-3 minutes to cook, check as you go along.
  • In the meantime, heat the oil in a wok. Add the matchstick ginger pieces and garlic, and fry for about 1 minute.
  • Add the light soya sauce and sugar. Continue cooking on low heat until the sugar dissolves.
  • Once the fish is cook, dish it up from the steamer and place it on a serving plate. Pour the hot soya sauce mixture on the fish, and garnish with the remaining spring onion and the coriander.

1 comment: