Monday 14 May 2012

Spinach, ricotta and chorizo filo pie

Remember an earlier post, when I said I was excited to have my dinner? I was waiting for this to cook in the oven! :) I love the combination of spinach and ricotta, I feel like it's a match made in food heaven :) The addition of chorizo made this into a non vegetarian dish, but feel free to omit it, and add a teaspoon of paprika instead (to bring smokiness) to the dish.

Fresh out of the oven! Crunchy bits at the top :)
Pastry obviously makes most things better :) But I tasted the filling before covering it with the filo and it was yummy! I could have eaten the filling just like that :)

I believe this is sort of a mediterranean inspired dish, and I've seen a few similar around. I've seen recipes which add pine nuts and raisins. I might try that in the future.

The pie was enough to last me quite a few meals. I even had it for breakfast the 3rd day. Make sure you keep it in the fridge though, especially during the summer.

Look at those flaky layers! This was the first slice, of quite a few :)
So here's the recipe for this! Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did :)

Spinach, ricotta and chorizo filo pie
(Serve 4-5 as a main)

Ingredients

300 grammes of frozen spinach
1 large red onion, sliced
100 grammes of chorizo, roughly chopped
250 grammes of ricotta
200 grammes of filo pastry, at room temperature
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of vegetable/olive oil
10 grammes of butter

Method

  1. Heat the oven to 185C (fan assisted)
  2. First we prepare the filling. Heat the oil in a pan, and add the red onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until softened.
  3. Add the chopped chorizo, and cook on medium heat. The oil from the chorizo will slowly release as the chorizo cooks, and this will add flavour to the spinach.
  4. Add the spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
  5. Add the cumin, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well. 
  6. Remove for heat and let it cool down for about 5-10 minutes. Afterwards add the ricotta. You might want to taste again at this stage to check on the seasoning.
  7. Melt the butter. Brush the pie tin with some melted butter. 
  8. Put 2 layers of the filo pastry on the pie tin. My pie tin's diameter is about 25 cm.
  9. Spoon the filling into the pie tin. Cover with the remaining filo sheets.I made some the sheets scrunched up a bit for a bit of artistic edge
  10. Brush the top with the remaining melted butter
  11. Bake in the per heated oven for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.

And here's another picture, as I enjoyed this so much :)


No comments:

Post a Comment