Thursday 14 November 2013

Quick dinner- Minced lamb pasta sauce

Hello All!

This was a quick and easy dinner I knocked up for myself this evening. I defrosted some minced lamb the night before and used it to make a 'quick bolognese-style' sauce. I find that using lamb makes up for cooking the sauce for a shorter period of time- traditional bolognese often involves cooking for a long period of time to intensify the flavour. I personally love the flavour of lamb and plus as I don't take beef, lamb is a delicious alternative!

When I cooked this, I did think of a friend of mine, A who is half Italian. I remember his expression of horror when I told him once that I often use lamb in my pasta sauces. He even said he would have to consult his mom ( who's Italian) on whether that's acceptable!

Quick pasta sauce + spaghetti

Ingredients
Makes 2 portions

300 grammes of lamb mince
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon of capers
1 tin of plum tomatoes
1 generous tablespoon of tomato puree
1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
Salt and sugar (yes you read it right!) to taste.
1 tablespoon of vegetable/ olive oil

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a deep saucepan on medium heat. In the meantime, cook your pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
  2. Fry the garlic until slightly brown. Add the capers and stir through.
  3. Add the mince and fry till cooked through.
  4. Add the tinned tomatoes and tomato puree. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
  5. Season to taste. By this time, your pasta should be done and voila, dinner is ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment