Wednesday 9 May 2012

Okra with caramelized red onions

I'm waiting for my dinner to cook in the oven right now, it's something that I've been looking forward to make, and I'm excited to eat it! :) But for now, let's have a post about a very simple dish that I made over the weekend.

My mom cooked this dish pretty often and I absolutely love her version. I jazzed my version up a bit, to introduce a little sweetness to the dish. Caramelized red onions are delicious, I love the soft, sweet onions in close to every dish!

Okra with caramelized red onion

Okra with red onions
(Serves 2 as a side dish)

Ingredients

175 grammes of okra (I get them in a pouch from Tesco)
1 large red onion, sliced thinly
1 medium sized green chilli, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Method

  1. Trim the edges and the top of the okra. Boil it whole for about 4-5 minutes, or until tender to touch. Set aside
  2. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions and chilli, and cook on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes. 
  3. Once the onion slices turn slightly brown, add the garlic. We don't want to add it too early else it'll burn.
  4. Once the onions are cooked, add the soya sauce and season to taste.
  5. Serve on top of the boiled okra, and have it with steamed white rice.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! I've never tried it like that before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! it's pretty quick and easy! :) Will need to catch up with you soon! :D

      Delete